Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Project dogs updates - Jezabel, Poker, Mushu & Feather

Jezabel


I am very happy to announce Jezabel is in a foster home. Not only do foster homes do a world of good for dogs but Jezabel needed a foster home more then we knew. We found out mid last week that Jezabel was pregnant. At 5pm on the 20th Jezabel 10 beautiful pups by c-section. So far Jezabel is proving to be a great mother and I will post photos and updates of both her and the pups when I get them.



Poker


Poker now walks very nicely on a leash, all this took was patience on my part. He finally learned that pulling means I don't move. On Friday I got Poker a kennel buddy, and he loves not being alone in his kennel anymore. It was cold and snowy today so we were not able to work on using the stairs since they are outside. Today (29th) he finally started eating treats but is not yet motivated enough for them to be used to help train him.

Goals
- Get a new, better photo
- Learn how to use the stairs (about 50% there already)
- Take and eat treats
- Basic obedience once he's eating treats
- Get a home
I wish I had a newer photo of Mushu. I ran into his foster turned adopter on Friday and she gave me a great update.  All of the puffiness you see in his face is swelling due to allergies. Since he has been home with her the swelling has gone away. She cooks for her dogs and is able to eliminate anything they may be allergic to. He still has trouble with the groomer, and I've offered to come over sometime to help out with that. I couldn't have asked for better news.



 Meet Feather, an 8 month old female Rat Terrier. I met Feather while trying to find a new kennel mate for another dog. Feather is a very sweet and playful girl with a big personality. Unfortunately her young age has not spared her from hash hands. While in her kennel where she feels most secure, Feather will come up to me and even jump up and allow some petting on her chest. Outside of her kennel she is very fearful of hands or of people who are standing up. With her age, breed, personality and love for hot dogs; I think she'll come around and be a pretty normal dog.

Goals
- Learn that people are ok
- Lots of desensitizing to hands and to being touched
-  Work on walking on a leash
- Get a home

Standard ending notes:
- I am not a professional dog trainer, though I one day hope to be. I am in an apprenticeship program for dog training and will not take on a dog that is more then I can safely handle. Please do not ask me to help you with your dog, I am not qualified to answer.
- All photos belong to the wonderful volunteers who took and uploaded them in the hopes of helping these dog's find their homes.
- If you are interested in adopting one of my project dogs or any puppy mill survivor check out National Mill Dog Rescue's website: https://milldogrescue.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment